Tag Archives: DJ Quik
for the better part of 2012 i been tinkering around with my own music sheit, aiming to release a “demo tape” (online as well as on actual cassette tape). the hour is now upon us: this is probly the best collection of songs i’ve ever produced. the ingestion of which is made all the more easier by the entertaining interludes that also litter it (consisting of ppl i know saying random crap). while my vocal abilities could always improve, i stand by all the music on this 90min monster of a demo. a good portion of these will get the proper makeover and released as singles with guest vocalists (followed shortly thereafter by my first ever real foray into music videos. exciting stuff (for me)). as always, for anyone who has ever followed my solo musical endeavours, this shit is FO FREE. i’ve never charged money for my music for anyone and any situation, and i don’t intend to start now. i know that makes me sound like i’m up my own ass, but i merely state that as someone who enjoys a shitload of free music, it ain’t no thang for me to do the same. besides, i’ve never relied on any aspects of my creative self for financial stability. hard enuf trin to find any kinda work these days, let alone ur dream shit. ANYways, as we return from tangentland, please enjoy the following demo with an open mind and sense of humour. i feel closest to this project more than any other right now, like i just released a baby from my teet (i’ll stop talking now).
01. VAHÉ – INTRO
02. EMERΔLD JULIUS – EMERΔLDΔNGELDUST
03. THANK GOD IT’S EASTER (Interlude) (feat. BIG BOOTY SNATCHER)
04. CHACHI MANDELA – BEIRUT @ DUSK
05. THE TIM TAM RISES (Interlude) (feat. BIFF)
06. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – ASTROFREAK
07. GENERIC 80s BAD GUY – BASTIANO’S REVENGE
08. OLAAAAA, MI AMO LO-LI-TAAA (Interlude) (feat. SHI-SHI McGEE)
09. CHOMPY RODRIGUEZ – HUBRIS
10. SAM JACK vs SEAGULLS (Interlude) (feat. ILL GABINETTO)
11. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – CHEDDAR
12. VEE’Z GOT THE KEY (Interlude)
13. THE FRIENDLY BANDIT – CHANGES (feat. BASSCLEF)
14. VEENUS MARCIULIONIS – DARKSYDEUVLUV (feat. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ)
15. WHERE’S A FUCKING PTERODACTYL WHEN YOU NEED ONE? (Interlude)
16. EMERΔLD JULIUS – MONEY + FLOW (Snippet) (feat. GIGI)
17. HUSH/SLUT – REMINISCE
18. DOOJ (Interlude) (feat. MAKMUTMAT)
19. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – JIEMBA
20. ODE TO VAHÉ (Interlude) (feat. AMAN10)
21. CHOMPY RODRIGUEZ – SUFFOCATING IN THE WIND
22. GENERIC 80s BAD GUY – SPYDER & THE VAMP
23. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – BEYOND IMAGINATION
24. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – LUCID (Interlude)
25. VAHÉ – A DREAM UPON WAKING
26. CROCODILE…MENISON (Interlude) (feat. PHONG DONG)
27. EMERΔLD JULIUS – FRΔNKS
28. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – U KNOW
29. NANITES (Interlude) (feat. MEZCAL)
30. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – SCREAM³
31. FFS! (Interlude) (feat. IGNATIUS BUNT)
32. PHYLICIA – MUCH LOVE (feat. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ)
33. I NEED ACTION (Interlude) (feat. MICHAEL TUGLESS)
34. HUSH/SLUT – HOTBOX
35. HUSH/SLUT – FALL (Interlude)
36. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – I THINK THAT I SHOULD BE
37. EMERΔLD JULIUS – COSMOSIS
38. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – OKAY
39. SOMEBODY TO PEEEEE ONNNN (Interlude) (feat. DEMOLI)
40. CHACHI MANDELA – MR. & MRS. CHACHI MANDELA (feat. CHORDS)
41. TO BE LOOVVVED, TO BE LAUWWWED (Interlude)
42. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – SPECIAL FEELING
43. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – ABOUT YOU
44. BOWLIN’, WARNEY (Interlude) (feat. CLUB NOIR)
45. MIṨTΔṾΞΞ – CAN’T GO HOME AGAIN
as a bonus, i’ve also compiled a 2-part 90s mix just as extra goodness to go along with my demo tape release. majority of SIDE A leans heavily in the dnb, jungle, 2step, garage, early house direction.
01. nookie – the blues
02. source direct – snake style
03. 3 rude bwoy – red eye dub
04. sunshine productions – above the clouds
05. crazy bald heads – first born
06. underground solution – tonight
07. sonic solution – music
08. antonio – take you there
09. deep sensation – get together (deep vocal mix)
10. daniel j. lewis – spend the night
11. blapps posse – don’t hold back (blappstrumental)
12. camden connection – deeper (tuff jam mix)
13. ceybil – love so special (original underground club dub)
14. the dat project ii – tech-vibe (zzz mix)
15. n joi – the kraken
16. a baffled republic – sweetness (i wanna ho)
17. fierce men on wax – go girl (heavenly girls mix)
18. tito puente – ran kan kan (masters at work 12″ club mix)
19. jodeci – won’t waste you (nick hussey remix)
SIDE B delves more into the kinda stuff i was weened on as a kid: new jack swing, hip hop & rnb. enjoy!
01. mc brains – oochie coochie (12″ version)
02. level iii – groove ya (club mix)
03. kool skool – my girl (radio edit)
04. bubba – i like your style
05. shä-key – soulsville
06. masta ace – postin’ high
07. dj quik – can i eat it? (unreleased demo version)
08. digable planets – little renee
09. sha’dasious – u kan’t play me
10. clever jeff – late night tip
11. jade – five-four-three-two (yo! time is up)
12. sweet sable – old times’ sake
13. o.c. – can’t go wrong
14. black moon – killin’ every nigga (unreleased)
15. j. quest – come and give it (you know what i want) (feat. gina)
16. rocky padilla – jackie
17. intro – funny how time flies (slow mix)
18. sa-deuce – don’t waste my time (ballad remix)
19. kut klose – i like
20. vybe – slow and easy
21. vanilla ice – never wanna be without you
Tags: 3 rude bwoy, a baffled republic, AMAN10, antonio, bassclef, BIFF, Big Booty Snatcher, black moon, blapps posse, camden connection, ceybil, Chachi Mandela, CHOMPY RODRIGUEZ, Chords, clever jeff, Club Noir, crazy bald heads, daniel j. lewis, deep sensation, DEMOLI, digable planets, DJ Quik, EMERΔLD JULIUS, fierce men on wax, GENERIC 80s BAD GUY, GIGI, gina, HUSH/SLUT, IGNATIUS BUNT, ILL GABINETTO, Intro, j. quest, jade, Jodeci, kool skool, kut klose, level iii, MAKMUTMAT, masta ace, masters at work, mc brains, MEZCAL, MIṨTΔṾΞΞ, MICHAEL TUGLESS, mista vee, MISTAVEE, n joi, nick hussey, nookie, o.c., PHONG DONG, PHYLICIA, rocky padilla, sa-deuce, sha'dasious, shä-key, SHI-SHI McGEE, sonic solution, source direct, sunshine productions, sweet sable, the day project ii, The Friendly Bandit, tito puente, underground solution, Vahé, vanilla ice, VEE'Z 90s MIX, VEE'Z DEMO TAPE, VEENUS MARCIULIONIS, vybe
1. what’s your name, where are you from & how did you get involved with music?
my name is Dimitrios, i use Tha-D.com and D.M.T. as production handles, i’m from the South East of Melbourne, Australia and my musical journey began when i was about 11 years old and i first heard Robert Miles‘ groundbreaking single “Children”. i started by experimenting with a keyboard, creating piano riffs that all followed the same vein as Miles‘ famous track. slowly learning the foundations of sequencing through Music2000 for the PsOne, teaching myself guitar and drums along the way, i’ve found myself in every form and genre of music over the last 17 years, creating sound and score composition for film, playing guitar in metal bands, beatboxing during hip-hop workshops. music, i love it.
2. how did your particular track in the mix come about/is there a story behind its creation?
i had spent the better half of the day working on some original score for a television commercial i had produced and decided i needed a mid-afternoon break. was listening to a lot of Zapp and Quik at the time, got inspired, whipped out the axe, played a few funky licks and here we are. just a regular 30 minute lunch break.
3. who or what inspires you to create? and how do you STAY inspired?
life is the biggest inspiration. my most memorable pieces have usually come from the biggest emotional episodes thrown at me. i stay inspired by new music, new adventures, new reflections. now, more than ever, people are reaching out to me to collaborate on stuff or even just hear my personal pieces. if music is to tell my story, it’s only up to me to add to the chapters.
4. your opinion on copyright and the sharing of music? (specifically tunes made by unsigned, under-the-radar and bedroom artists that are then shared by fans?).
thanks to the digital revolution, filesharing/copyright integrity has been a massive thing since its initial conception. plenty of argument coming from either side of the fence. as an art form every artist deserves to have the right to protect their work from plagiarism and maintaining their piece’s integrity. artists spend their early days dreaming of reaching a wider audience and it’s with that in mind i maintain an open approach to file sharing. distribution of my music has never been a concern. it’s when others profit from your hard work that it takes a sour turn. i know how many Friday nights i spent sitting in the lab perfecting my craft, countless jam sessions spent in rehearsal studios refining my sound. should someone profit from my life’s work before i is the line in the sand.
5. the best place to listen/download/buy your tunes? and any final words you’d like to say to the Internets?
some of the greatest pieces of music can be heard on our street corners, in our train station underpasses, on our city streets. talk to your friends, never hesitate to ask someone what it is they’re listening to. support your favourite artists. revisit the discography of yesteryear. to quote the man who began it all for me;
“Music: Indispensable component of life. . . Recognizes no limits and no confines. . . Uniting black with white, young with old and the good with the bad”
Tha Quikster & Suga Free set aside their differences and re-united on Quik‘s latest studio album, “The Book Of David”, and the Internet rejoiced! these two fuckin around has produced some of the coolest, fonkiest, most effortless hip hop you could imagine. add a blunt n some beer & they could make one awesome album together. i don’t need to mention the song is vintage Quik, with vintage ‘Free raps & humour, making ME feel like i’m back in ’98 when “Rhythm-Al-Ism” was the only hip hop i was listening to. for the sake of music lovers everywhere, i sincerely hope they NEVER.FIGHT.AGAIN. y’all BELONG together (sif the shared love of beautifully-kept hair wasn’t sign enough).
April 25, 2011 DJ Quik – Luv Of My Life (feat. Gift Reynolds) (Official Music Video) + Quik’s Groove 9
the video for Quik’s first single from his newly-released 8th studio album The Book Of David is now here in all its pimpin’ glory. i recently gave the album a listen and it’s dope as expected.
and in keeping with tradition, we are blessed with yet another worthy addition to the Quik’s Groove legacy of instrumental jams helmed by Quik on the boards and brought to life by session musos (not sure if Rob Bacon was present this time around). it appears as the final bonus track on the album.
DJ Quik is back droppin heat with the LA Leakers, a mixtape offering to tide us over until The Book Of David drops later this month (April 20th). it contains a best-of mix + 3 exclusive tracks from the forthcoming album, featuring the latest single: Real Women (feat. Jon B.), a laid back jam with a more modern soundin beat (not exactly “signature Quik”, but…different). gotta say, the last 30 seconds or so is SUCH a Diary Of A Mad Band maneuver (aka the specific synth sound & solo, DeVanté nuts will know what i’m talkin bout).
not sure if there’s anyone out there who hasn’t sung along to a Nate Dogg line at some point in their lives. the man made a name for himself worldwide for singing some pretty famous hooks. while i wasn’t THE biggest fan, i admired his work & the haters were always few. more than anything i wish he’d done some more work with DJ Quik, they go good together. so instead of posting his most well-known hits, leme chuck up a few YouTube clips of Nate + Quik collabos. peace (and none of that “may you regulate in heaven” shit, christ is that a lame way to honour someone).
here’s a standout track with 213 (Nate, Warren G & Snoop Dogg).
and a bangin music vid to the heatrock track Crazy from Snoop’s Tha Blue Carpet Treatment album.
DJ Quik returns with a Summer smanger featuring newcomer Gift Reynolds. this is the first official single from Quik’s upcoming album The Book Of David, which judging from the well-worn listening session video, promises to be vintage David Blake. album comes out April 20th.